Spinning Star Studio provides electric kiln firing services to potters and ceramicists in the Colorado Springs area. We fire in a Skutt 1027 electric kiln. It’s 7 cubic feet on the inside with a maximum size of 25” high and 22” wide. We can fire up to cone 6.
- We only fire clay based products. We do not fire clay with foreign material added, glass, items stuffed with paper, metal, or any other non-clay items.
- You must call ahead to arrange a general time to drop off your items. (719) 360-0791
- We will not store your packing materials.
- Turn around is about 7-10 days.
- Customers will receive one call when items are ready to be picked up
- Any items not picked up within 30 days of the completed firing are considered abandoned and disposed of as considered appropriate.
Limitations and Exceptions:
- We reserve the right to refuse any item based on what may appear to be an unacceptable risk of causing damage to our kiln other customer's wares.
- Spinning Star Studio is a health conscious studio. We will not fire items glazed with products containing lead, barium, or non-encapsulated cadmium. If you are not certain your glazes meet our safety standards, please bring the container with you.
- The customer is responsible for providing the proper firing temperatures of the clay and the glaze. If you do not know the information, please bring the glaze container or the information from the clay box. We will not fire your pieces until you provide this information.
- We reserve the right to refuse quantities of wares that would overload our firing operations or cause severe disruption to other customers.
Cost for Firing:
- All firing fees must be prepaid.
- An entire kiln load is $40, a 1/2 load is $20. Individual pieces are $5.
- There is a $5 minimum per customer for firing services. Firing service costs are not refundable.
- We can rush a special order, at an extra cost, provided all green ware is completely dry.
We bisque fire to cone 06.
All green ware must be completely dry. Any green ware that is still damp will have to be brought back when it is completely dry.
Make sure that no pieces have pockets of trapped air.
No clay should be thicker than your thumb at any point.
We suggest that all glazed items have a 1/4 “margin at the bottom to prevent glaze problems.
All glazed pots must have the bottoms thoroughly wiped free of glaze.
Glaze drips caused by the improper application of glaze will be subject to a labor charge of $5.00 per drip to restore the kiln shelves to usable conditions.
There is a $35 shelf replacement fee for wares completely fused to the shelf. Extensively damaged shelves are not repairable. All pieces will be held until the damages are paid.
Guarantee: Spinning Star Studio will fire your items to the best of our abilities and care for them as much as we would items of our own. We cannot guarantee results.